What is ion?🧐
- Ions are charged particles which are made when electrons are transferred.
- When metals form ions, they lose electrons and become positively charged.
- When non-metals form ions, they gain electrons and become negatively charged.
- The number of electrons either gained or lost is the same as the charge.
- The elements in groups 1,2,6 and 7 are the most likely to form ions.The elements in groups 1 and 2 are metals and they therefore lose electrons to form positive ions, +1 and +2.The elements in groups 6 and 7 are non-metals and they therefore gain electrons to form negative ions, -2 and -1.
- Ionic bonding occurs when a metal and a non-metal react together.
- The metal loses its electron and the non-metal gains that electron.
- When they react, the two opposite charges are attracted and they form an ionic bond
👇Here is an example of an ionic compound formed from a sodium ion and a chloride ion👇
That's the end of ionic bond.
Drafted by Yoko Mak (Chemistry)