IBDP Physics Question Analyses Topic: Physics - Short Questions
1) A direct current (DC) motor is connected to a battery by means of two leads. The motor moves for slightly less than half the cycle and comes to halt. Which of the following components is missing?
A. One of the brushes
C. Slip ring
D. One of the two magnets
2) What is an electromagnet? State two ways by which the strength of an electromagnet can be increased.
1) The slip ring appears to be absent in the analysis of the provided problem. The key justification for this discovery is that the slip has the ability to keep the motor and stator connected mechanically when they are stationary. Further investigation reveals that when utilized in DC motors, the direction of the current changes for every half-rotation of the rings. As a result, the armature's rotation will come to an end if the slip rings are missing. As such, option C is correct.
2) To put it simply, an electromagnet is a device made of an iron core and a coil of insulated wire that becomes magnetized when an electric current passes through it.
There are several ways to make an electromagnet stronger:
1) The coil's number of turns can be increased to boost strength.
2) The coil's current can also be raised.
End of analysis. Great!