ACCELERATION IN THE EARTH’S GRAVITATIONAL FIELD
- Projectile – a force acts on an object which starts it moving then it is subject to a constant force while it moves. In most cases this means the object is in free fall in the earth gravitational field.
- An object dropped accelerates vertically downward due to its weight.
- Air resistance affects the motion of objects unequally, according to their cross-sectional area
- Acceleration due to gravity: g (Nkg-1 and ms-1)
- If the projection is at an angle, resolve the forces to be horizontal and vertical. The SUVAT equations used must be separated to HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL.
- Notes: if throwing a ball up vertically, the final velocity will be 0 ms-1 at the top of its trajectory.
- The vertical motion is subject to gravity, so -g
- The time for the vertical and horizontal motion is the same.
That's all~ Thanks for watching.