Interfering with nature
- 66yr old women became pregnant using donated sperm and eggs
In vitro fertilisation
- In I/GCSE Biology, Women are infertile = blocked oviducts or fallopian tubes.
- Eggs can’t travel from ovaries to womb, sperm can’t travel upwards to meat egg
- IVF is fertilisation in a test tube (test-tube baby)
- Step 1 – Women given injections of FSH – stimulates maturation of several eggs
- Step 2 – Eggs collected before release from ovary (ultrasound finds eggs, needle used to remove them)
- Step 3 – Eggs fertilised with sperm outside body
- Step 4 – Fertilised egg divide to form embryos
- Step 5 – Embryos (balls of cells) inserted into women’s womb
What are the statistics?