Relate the significance of biomolecules (protein and nucleic acid) to life.
Biomolecules are elementary building blocks exist in organism and they assist the vital biological process for life.
Significance of protein and nucleic acid 👇🏻
Protein is biosynthesized from 20 amino acids which each of them consist of a carbon atom, hydrogen atom, amino group (-NH2), carboxyl group (-COOH) as well as a variable residual group (-R). Two main type of protein are fibrous protein and globular protein.
1. Fibrous protein
- Fibrous protein is made up of polypeptide that form long fibres or sheets.
- Fibrous protein provide support towards the structure of cell.
- Keratin - the major component of hair, nails, horns, claws, hooves as well as calluses.
- Collagen - the major component of tendons, ligaments as well as skin
2. Globular protein
- Globular protein is made up of polypeptide that form spherical shape.
- Globular protein support a wide range of function in metabolism.
- Globular protein can hold water in cell and maintain the molecular organisation of cellular molecules.
- Enzyme - catalytic protein that speed up the metabolism.
- Antibody - neutralise pathogens like bacteria and virus in immune system.
- Hormone - regulate physiology and behaviour of body.
👆🏻This is the structure of long fibre like fibrous protein and spherical shape globular protein.
Nucleic acid 🧬
Nucleic acid is biosynthesized from nucleotide which consist of a five carbon sugar, a phosphate group as well as nitrogen containing bases (A, G, C, T, U). Two main type of nucleic acid are deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA).
- Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) and ribonucleic acid (RNA) are the vital molecules that carry genetic information of cells. Besides, DNA and RNA direct the occurrence of protein synthesis. Further, DNA and RNA determine the inherited characteristics from generation to generation.
👆🏻This is the structure of DNA and RNA which are types of nucleic acid.
The details of DNA and RNA will be discussed in the up coming blog 📃 😉
That's the end of this topic 👏🏻
- Thomas, B. & Chris, H. (2013) Hong Kong DSE Biology Critical Guide. Yellowreef Limited.
- Brent Cornell. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://ib.bioninja.com.au/standard-level/topic-2-molecular-biology/24-proteins/fibrous-vs-globular-protein.html
- Helmenstine, A. M. (2020, February 2). Do You Know the Differences Between DNA and RNA? Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/dna-versus-rna-608191