Reacting Acid with Base
All metal hydroxides and metal oxides can act as base.
- Reaction between acid and base is called neutralisation reaction.
- The products of a neutralisation reaction are salt and water.
- acid + base → salt + water
HCl + NaOH → NaCl + H2O
H2SO4 + CuO → CuSO4 + H2O
HNO3 + KOH → KNO3 + H2O
Reacting Acid with Metal
- Metals above hydrogen in the reactivity series can react with acid.
- When acid and metal react, salt and hydrogen gas are produced.
- acid + metal → salt + hydrogen
2HCl + Mg → MgCl2 + H2
H2SO4 + 2Na → Na2SO4 + H2
Reacting Acid with Metal Carbonate
- When acid and metal carbonate react, salt, carbon dioxide and water are produced.
- acid + metal carbonate → salt + carbon dioxide + water
2HCl + Na2CO3 → 2NaCl + CO2 + H2O
H2SO4 + CaCO3 → CaSO4 + CO2 + H2O
2HNO3 + K2CO3 → 2KNO3 + CO2 + H2O