IBDP Biology Question Analysis Topic: Biology - Short Questions
1) Why the pyramid of energy is always upright? Explain.
2) Name the phenomenon and one bird where the female gamete directly develops into a new organism.
3) What is detritus food chain made up of? How do they meet their energy and nutritional requirement?
1) The energy pyramid is always upright because some energy is always wasted as heat when the energy moves from one trophic level to another. Never returning to the sun, this heat is lost to the atmosphere.
2) The process known as parthenogenesis occurs when a female gamete transforms directly into a new creature. Turkey birds breed by parthenogenesis, a process in which the female egg grows into an organ without being fertilized.
3) The dead organic matter is the first link in the detritus food chain. Decomposing organisms, or saprophytes, are heterotrophic organisms. For instance, bacteria and fungi. They consume debris or dead organic stuff to meet their needs for energy and nutrients.
End of analysis. Great!