IB Biology - Cell Cycle and Mitosis
Chapter 1.6 - Cell Division
Chromosomes condense by supercoiling during mitosis.
Cytokinesis occurs after mitosis and is different in plant and animal cells.
Interphase is a very active phase of the cell cycle with many processes occurring in the nucleus and cytoplasm.
Cyclins are involved in the control of the cell cycle.
Skill: Identification of phases of mitosis in cells viewed with a microscope or in a micrograph.
In previous IB biology articles, we always mention the cell replication. The cell undergoes cell contents replication and divides into two daughter cells via cell cycle.
The Cell Cycle
Interphase = the DNA and cell contents are replicated to prepare cell division
Mitosis = division of the nucleus into two genetically identical daughter nuclei.
Whole process of cell cycle
** Some concepts you have to be clear,
In this IB Biology article, you have to remember :
Wanna Boost Up Your IB Biology? Check out our study tips here!
Written by Queenie l IBDP Biology Specialist @ TUTTEE
Photo References:1. Allen Cell, https://www.allencell.org/news/allen-institute-for-cell-science-debuts-first-comprehensive-view-of-human-cell-division
2. Khan Academy, https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/cellular-molecular-biology/mitosis/a/cell-cycle-phases
3. Microbe Hunter, http://www.microbehunter.com/lily_interphase-3/
5. Slideplayer, http://slideplayer.com/slide/15512127/
6. Science Photo, https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/313288/view/late-metaphase-of-mitosis-lm
7. Pinterest, https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/483714816203513424/
8. Chegg Study, https://www.chegg.com/homework-help/questions-and-answers/5-5-figures-indicate-normal-cytokinesis-animal-plant-cell-produced-cell-completes-mitosis--q24487043
9. Socratic, https://socratic.org/questions/what-is-the-difference-between-centromere-centrosome-and-centriole10. Quizlet, https://quizlet.com/280494188/prophase-diagram/11. Topper Learning, https://www.topperlearning.com/answer/i-draw-a-diagram-of-the-nucleus-of-a-cell-having-chromosome-number-6-as-it-would-appear-in-the-metaphase-stage-of-mitosis-and-label-the-following-part/opvoo66ii12. Topper Learning, https://www.topperlearning.com/answer/draw-the-diagrams-of-transition-to-metaphase-anaphase/0wvfxcvv
13. Syvum, https://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.cgi/squizzes/biology/mitosis.html?question_hide
14. Pinterest, https://www.pinterest.com/pin/808959151791634387/
15. Wikiwand, https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Cyclin
16. Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_cycle
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!