Homeostasis ➡️ The conditions inside the body must be controlled within narrow limits.
- These conditions include water content, ion content, body temperature and blood glucose concentration.
Make sure you can memorize the following points in I/GCSE Biology!
The thermoregulatory centre is the part of the brain that monitors and controls body temperature.
- monitors and controls blood glucose concentration.
- It produces a hormone called insulin that reduces blood glucose levels.
- Diabetes is a disease which can be caused by insufficient insulin.
Removing waste products
- Waste products must be removed from the body.
- If they are not, they will increase in concentration and may interfere with chemical reactions or damage cells.
- Waste products that must be removed include carbon dioxide and urea.
In I/GCSE Biology, it's important to memorize the following points as well!
- Water enters the body through food and drink.
- It is also a product of aerobic respiration in cells.
- If the amount of water in the body is wrong, cells can be damaged because too much water enters or leaves them.
Controlling blood glucose
The pancreas and insulin
In I/GCSE Biology, it's a very common topic!
- monitors and controls the concentration of glucose in the blood
- produces a hormone called insulin. Insulin causes glucose to move from the blood into cells
- lowers the blood glucose concentration if it has become too high
This can happen after eating a meal that is rich in carbohydrates (for example, sweets, potatoes, bread, rice or pasta).
Diabetes ➡️ a disease where the concentration of glucose in the blood is not controlled properly by the body.
In type 1 diabetes,
- the pancreas does not produce enough insulin.
- This can lead to high levels of glucose in the blood, which can be fatal.
And we're done with this topic! Well Done!
Drafted by Alyssa (Biology)
- "Homeostasis", https://nitrocdn.com/BzukxzxIDWSkBjOuXIuFVkjjEriFmqlw/assets/static/optimized/rev-b8fe5f6/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/homeostasis-definition-768x432.jpg
- "Excretion", https://i.pinimg.com/originals/44/49/8f/44498f0ea4b285f97e02c59c7f1e8f58.jpg
- "Normal and Diabetic Blood Sugar Level Ranges", https://res.cloudinary.com/grohealth/image/upload/c_fill,f_auto,h_650,q_auto,w_1085/$wpsize_!_cld_full!,w_1085,h_650,c_scale/v1581675809/DCUK/Content/iStock-1005715630
- "Maintenance of blood glucose levels by glucagon and insulin", https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Pia-Roeder/publication/297896821/figure/fig3/AS:341616100429835@1458459033819/Maintenance-of-blood-glucose-levels-by-glucagon-and-insulin-When-blood-glucose-levels.png
- "Causes of Diabetes - What Causes Diabetes?", https://res.cloudinary.com/grohealth/image/upload/v1581695681/DCUK/Content/causes-of-diabetes.png