- Microbes are organisms that are too small to be seen without using a microscope
- so they include things like bacteria, archaea, and single cell eukaryotes
- cells that have a nucleus, like an amoeba or a paramecium. Sometimes we call viruses microbes too.
It's commonly asked in the I/GCSE Biology exam!!!!
Microbes come in a huge variety of shapes
- everything from rods to spheres, even corkscrew shapes.
- They’re all about the same size, with some a little bigger than others and smaller than others.
- They don’t have much of a color unless we apply a stain to them, which we sometimes do to see them under the microscope.
Cultivation of microbe
In I/GCSE Biology, you should remember the following points too!
- To find out about microbes you need to culture them (grow in a colony to study lots of them).
- Microorganisms need a culture medium containing carbohydrate to act as an energy source.
- Along with this, mineral ions, and sometimes extra proteins and vitamins are included. You also need warmth and moisture.
- The medium is sometimes an Agar substance, which forms a jelly in hot water.
- The medium is also sometimes a broth in a Culture flask.
- There is always a risk of mutation when growing microbes
- which could result in dangerous pathogens.
- The original, safe microbes could also be contaminated by disease causing pathogens.
- In the lab, you have to avoid contamination of dangerous microorganisms
And we're done with this topic! Well Done!
Drafted by Alyssa (Biology)
- "my.microbes: science for everyone", https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/Kd16AxeJTLQQES5dIwcFUpnav1VWegeHzfWqzQpaApd8Ip4cmCofNrMjveqtewOMMfNeEUJtFmMpjYXKT7uLMU4
- "What are examples of single cell organisms?", https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-bbff1cbf14b56960105506928b6fdf2c
- "Protozoa Amoeba Proteus, Paramecium caudatum", https://previews.123rf.com/images/liliyabutenko/liliyabutenko2005/liliyabutenko200500415/147552644-protozoa-amoeba-proteus-paramecium-caudatum-euglena-viridis-unicellular-organisms-under-the-microsco.jpg
- "Virus". Photo from the internet.
- "Bacillus (shape)", https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/69/Bacterial_morphology_diagram.svg/1200px-Bacterial_morphology_diagram.svg.png
- "Factors Affecting Microbial Growth" Photo from the internet.
- "Sound made from Dust grown from Bacteria collected", https://i1.sndcdn.com/artworks-000175852529-emfidp-t500x500.jpg
- "Microbiology Lab Practices and Safety Rules", https://0701.static.prezi.com/preview/v2/dx4yra3p6aec4mxkrai4zwi7lp6jc3sachvcdoaizecfr3dnitcq_3_0.png