- Outline the major steps of anaerobic pathways.
- Be aware of the occurrence of anaerobic respiration during exercise.
Distinguish between aerobic and anaerobic respiration.
Anaerobic respiration ➡️Respiration that oxygen is not consumed to break down glucose.
Formation of lactic acid 👉🏻 Lactic acid ferminatation
👆🏻This photo showing the formation of lactic acid in muscle cell.
- After glycolysis, NADH transferring its electron to pyruvate and generating lactate.
- Lactate 👉🏻the deprotonated form of lactic acid.
- When too little oxygen for aerobic respiration to be carried out, then anaerobic respiration - lactic acid fermentation will be be carried out.
- The soreness after exercise is caused by the accumulation of lactic acid in muscle.
- Lactic acid in muscle will convert back to pyruvate in liver.
Formation of ethanol 👉🏻 Alcohol fermentation
👆🏻This photo showing the formation of ethanol and carbon dioxide in yeast.
- After glycolysis, the removal of the carboxyl group from pyruvate and generate acetaldehyde.
- NADH transferring its electron to acetaldehyde and generate ethanol.
- Ethanol is utilized to make beer and wine.
Comparison between Aerobic and Anaerobic respiration ⚔️
1. Place of occurrence
- Aerobic respiration - cytoplasm and mitochondria.
- Anaerobic respiration - cytoplasm.
2. Quantity of energy
- Aerobic respiration - high amount of energy with 38 ATP.
- Anaerobic respiration - low amount of energy with 2 ATP.
3. Final product
- Aerobic respiration - carbon dioxide and water.
- Anaerobic respiration - lactic acid/ethanol and carbon dioxide.
4. Steps involved
- Aerobic respiration - glycolysis, Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation.
- Anaerobic respiration - glycolysis and fermentation.
5. Process of combustion
- Aerobic respiration - complete.
- Anaerobic respiration - incomplete.
6. Duration of process
- Aerobic respiration - long process.
- Anaerobic respiration - relatively fast process.
That's the end of this topic 👏🏻
- Khan Academy. Fermentation and anaerobic respiration | Cellular respiration (article). Khan Academy. https://www.khanacademy.org/science/biology/cellular-respiration-and-fermentation/variations-on-cellular-respiration/a/fermentation-and-anaerobic-respiration.
- C, R., Arif, N., Annie, & Mahmooda. (2019, May 14). Difference Between Aerobic and Anaerobic Respiration (with Comparison Chart). Bio Differences. https://biodifferences.com/difference-between-aerobic-and-anaerobic-respiration.html.