GCE AQA BIOL - Causes of Disease
Unit 3.1 Biology and disease
3.1.1 Disease may be caused by infectious pathogens or may reflect the effects of lifestyle.
A disease is an illness or disorder of the body or mind that leads to poor health 😷. As a GCE AQA Biology student, you’ll be expected to look closely into the causes of disease. We’ll be looking at:
1. Pathogens 🦠
2. In GCE AQA Biology, you will also examine how lifestyle affects the risk of disease:
We know about the relationship between specific diseases and poor lifestyle choices because scientists have been interpreting data that suggests such correlations for decades. In the GCE AQA Biology exam paper, you may be asked to examine a chart or table of data and analyse the nature of any such relationship.
However, it is important to distinguish between causation and correlation.
That's all for this section!
Wanna Boost Up Your GCE AQA Biology? Check out our study tips here!
1. Toole, G., & Toole, S. (2015). Aqa biology A level. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
2. Smoking & Disease. N.d. Retrieved from https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Biology/Human_Health_and_Disease/smoking_and_disease
3. Correlation & Causation. N.d. Retrieved from https://medium.com/stylumia/correlation-is-not-as-fashionable-as-causation-a57e753a4835
4. What is a Pathogen? 2019. Retrieved from https://www.healthline.com/health/what-is-a-pathogen
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!